Saturday 10 December 2011

Where'd I put that trumpet?

In the interests of blowing my own horn, I should reveal that my short story, "Atrophy", was awarded "Very Highly Commended" status in the 2011 Western Districts Short Story Competition (a national competition based in Waitakere).  It's the story of a man facing the erosion of his relationship and sense of self in the face of his wife's muscle-wasting disease.
The judge described it as "strongly written in an understated, affective style.  Quietly effective exploration of the stresses and decisions which face the partners of the seriously ill."
 This is my second time to be acknowledged by this competition (in 2009, I got Second Place with "Slippery Road") so I greatly appreciate the great work the organisers do in keeping the competition running for 25 years.  I especially want to thank David Knight, who I believe is stepping down as organiser this year.
For anyone interested, a booklet of the winning stories will be available soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment