Monday 6 February 2012

Bad blogger - no cookies for you!

Okay, so I've been a very slack blogger the last little while.  Initially I justified this as a Christmas break.  Then by telling myself I was busy writing anyway.  Eventually I've had to admit I was just being lazy!
So...what have I been doing all this time?
Writing
Yep, I've been cheerfully banging away on a keyboard and, like all those monkeys writing Shakespeare, my novel is slowly taking shape.  I have found myself beginning fall under the thrall of the dreaded mid-manuscript malaise, but I think I'm shaking it off.  When in doubt, kill somebody.  That's the rule of thumb, right?
Congratulating
My beautiful wife finished her novel manuscript and is preparing it for entry in the Clendon Award. I couldn't be prouder!  I'd also like to point out that she finished first because hers is a lot shorter than mine!  She has a real talent for the romance genre that I just do not have.  The rule of thumb listed above, for example, does not work in category romance.
Meeting
I went to my first face-to-face meeting of Speculative Fiction Writers of New Zealand (SpecFicNZ) this month.  It's so nice to meet other people who also spend ridiculous amounts of time writing down their daydreams and trying to get other people to read them!  I have my own small writing group and value their opinions, encouragement and critique immensely, but it was also great to meet others who are at a similar point or further along in their writing careers.  We are not alone.  And, of course, now I have a list of new authors whose work I want to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment