Sunday 9 November 2014

International Writers Workshop and Linda Nagata

It's been an excellent week for meeting fellow writers and next week looks to be just as good.

On Tuesday I was fortunate enough to be the guest speaker at the International Writers' Workshop, talking to them about using psychology in fiction.  I love the opportunity to combine two of my favourite topics into an hour and a half of condensed information on making characters real and bringing conflict into a story using psychology and counselling theory. 

It was also a fantastic opportunity to talk to some fellow writers about what they're doing and get some feedback on an idea I've had - to write a book for writers on psychology.  If anyone is interested in hearing about this when it's ready, please email me at darian-smith@vodafone.co.nz and I'll put you on my mailing list.  I got lots of names at the workshop so it seems like there's an interest.

On Friday a few local writers and I met up with Hawaii based American author, Linda Nagata for a drink, some food, conversation and explore the town.  Linda is a "hybrid" author with many novels self published and others being picked up by traditional publishers.  She was fascinating to talk to about her experiences and I look forward to reading "Memory", which she suggested as one of her books to try.

If you'd like to find out more about Linda, check out her website at http://www.mythicisland.com/

This week, I'm off to the book launch of "The Best of Twisty Christmas Tales" and looking forward to meeting some of the other writers who appear in the anthology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment