Thursday 30 August 2012

My Version of a Trophy Wife


Last weekend was "all writing all the time" for me and my wife.  Randy Ingermanson "the snowflake guy" was presenting and the NZ Romance Writers' Association had their annual conference.

I'm very proud to say that my wife (who writes as Althea Day) not only got third place over-all in the Clendon Award, but also won the Readers' Choice Award, complete with the trophy shown below!  Congratulations Adrienne!

We've both been very excited about this.  While my short stories have won prizes a number of times before, this is a first time win for Adrienne - who, to be fair, hasn't submitted anything to a competition before.  So that's a pretty damn fine first effort!

Adrienne is now working on some adjustments that were recommended to her by editors before she submits the manuscript to the publisher of her choice.  As you can imagine, we have our fingers crossed! 

If you're interested in following Adrienne's journey with this, you can check out her website at www.altheaday.com or search for her on Facebook using Althea-Day as a keyword.




Randy Ingermanson's talk was very interesting.  If you get a chance to listen to him, do.  He covered topics like:
  • Building great characters
  • Story architecture
  • The Snowflake method of planning a novel
  • Writing a perfect scene
  • Marketing
  • An analysis of  bestselling novel, "The Hunger Games"
We both found it worthwhile and it certainly got me thinking about my work - I have a few ideas for further development when I go back to my manuscript next month and begin revising. 

It's already been five weeks since I finished writing The Novel and felt really good about my efforts.  I'll be going back to it soon.  I just hope it's as good as I remember!








No comments:

Post a Comment