Saturday 24 September 2011

Demon bugs, time-slips, and good writing.

Sometimes time just kinda disappears.  Since my last post I went out of town for work, was stuck down by some kind of genetically engineered, mutant flu, attack-virus, and by the time I woke up almost a month has passed!  Okay, Rip Van Winkle, I am not, but still.  Where has this month gone?
 On the bright side, I have achieved some small progress.  While my novel plan is simmering, I'm writing a short story - my first fully sci-fi piece.  I never realised how much fun it is to make up technology.  Hooray for gadgets and aliens!
Also, at the risk of turning this into a book-review, I've spent some of my snot-ridden recovery time reading "Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass.  This is a terrific book on writing - and that's not just the flu medication talking.  Easy and entertaining to read, this book gives lots of tips on how to improve your writing and certainly gave me a lot to think about.  I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who is keen to improve their writing.  Just not my copy, 'cause I sneezed on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment